1. Morro Bay Antiques
Located in California, it was an abandoned old diner for a while, thankfully, it’s now an antiques emporium.
2. Rotary telephone compacts, originally designed by Elsa Schiaparelli and Salvador Dali, 1935
Mass-produced in the 1950s.
3. Wedding between female lovers, circa 1900s
Found on reddit.
4. Native Americans at the White House for Citizenship in the 1920s
5. Telephone Pole Nests of the South African Weaver Birds
In the vast barren landscapes of the southern Kalahari, Sociable Weaver Birds assume ownership of the telephone poles that cut across their habitat. Their burgeoning nests are at once inertly statuesque and teeming with life. The twigs and grass collected to build these nests combine to give strangely recognisable personalities to the otherwise inanimate poles.
By Dillon Marsh.
6. Draugen Oil Rig, Norway
What man won’t do.
Found on Tumblr.
7. The death road to Coroico
“The World’s Most Dangerous Road” in Bolivia is a route of 65 km long from the “Summit”, a step of high mountain in the Andes, at 4000 meters, which until 15 years ago this route was the main access road to the forest of the Yungas– a single lane road in many segments (3 meters wide). “The Road of Death” is today consolidated almost exclusively as tourist circuit for the mountain bike descent.
More found here.
8. One of the oldest “Beware of the Dog” signs in the world.
Domus del Poeta Tragico, Pompeii.
Found on the Museum of Artifacts.
9. The Strange History of the Pineapple
Have you ever wondered:
How did these men, and so many others, become so enraptured with the pineapple? And how have we forgotten its former grandeur?
Read the full article on The Paris Review.
10. Before Facebook, the military tried to make an all knowing ‘cyberdiary’ called LifeLog
It ended badly. Read the full story on Motherboard.
11. Transnistria, The Country That Doesn’t Exist
After the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1990, a thin sliver of land on Moldova’s eastern border with Ukraine broke apart from its parent country and declared independence from Moldova… Since then, Moldova has stayed out of Transnistria’s business but still refuses to recognize it as an independent state. In fact, no other nation does.
Full article found on Amusing Planet.
12. Chop Suey by Vivian Maier
Not familiar with Vivian Maier? Oh boy. Go here.
13. The Making of Grease
To add a little summer lovin’ into your Monday: